List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l] Re: Feedback wanted: PHPCS in a static types world
From:       Niklas_Laxström <niklas.laxstrom () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-10-28 14:15:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

pe 28. lokak. 2022 klo 17.04 Lucas Werkmeister (
lucas.werkmeister@wikimedia.de) kirjoitti:

> In my opinion, MediaWiki's PHPCS ruleset feels largely rooted in an older
> version of PHP, where static type declarations (formerly known as "type
> hints") did not exist. As we move towards more modern code, I think some
> rules should be relaxed, and others adjusted. More specifically, I'd like
> to know if most people agree with the following propositions and conclusion:

I support relaxing the phpcs rules by default. We have already disabled
some of these rules for new code in the Translate extension (ref
<https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/plugins/gitiles/mediawiki/extensions/Translate/+/refs/heads/master/.phpcs.xml#27>)
 with the same reasoning you gave.

  -Niklas