List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l] ParserTests updates
From:       Subramanya Sastry <ssastry () wikimedia ! org>
Date:       2022-10-13 18:05:44

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hello everyone,

The Content Transform Team
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_Transform_Team> finally decided
to act on this old task <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T111604> to
split up the parserTests.txt file in core into a number of smaller files
by functionality. We got a first patch merged and there is one more
patch in gerrit that will likely merge this week. More patches will
follow in the coming weeks and we expect that by the time we are done,
we'll have a few 10s of parser test files which will all be
significantly smaller than the parserTests.txt file now.

So, when some of you write code that needs an update to parser tests,in
some cases, you may have to update tests in multiple files.

While I have your attention here, a few more parserTests related updates:

  * Over the last 6 months, we've updated MediaWiki core's parser test
    runner to run parser tests against Parsoid (both via CLI and in CI
    via PHPUnit). We call these tests integrated mode Parsoid test runs
    to contrast it with standalone mode Parsoid test runs (Core's test
    runner runs in integrated mode with the MediaWiki core code whereas
    Parsoid's test runner runs in standalone mode without using
    MediaWiki core code).
  * I've also been updating the parser tests wiki page
    <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Parser_tests> to bring the
    documentation up to date wrt how to write tests for running with
    Parsoid. We will continue to improve this page and add more details
    as necessary. Feel free to edit the page or leave questions /
    comments on the talk page with requests for clarification.
  * We have also started enabling test runs with Parsoid in extension
    repositories as well as in core. If you see a 'parsoid-compatible'
    clause in a test file, that test file is going to be run with
    Parsoid. We want to make sure as we move further along with the
    integration of Parsoid with the rendering pipeline, we catch any
    newly-introduced regressions so they can be fixed.

Thanks!

Subbu on behalf of the Content Transform Team.