List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l] =?utf-8?q?=F0=9F=9A=80_SD0001_receives_Web_Perf_Hero_award!?=
From:       Krinkle <krinkle () fastmail ! com>
Date:       2022-03-30 17:08:30

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I'm happy to share that the next Web Perf Hero award goes to SD0001, in recognition \
of their many contributions and positive impact on the performance of Wikimedia \
software. I'll share two major examples.

SD0001 implemented Package files \
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader/Package_files> for Gadgets \
<https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Gadgets> (T198758 \
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198758>). This enables gadget maintainers to \
bundle JSON files, unpacked via `require()`. This improves performance by avoiding \
delays from extra web requests. It also improves security by allowing safe \
contributions to JSON pages, as pure data with validated syntax on-edit. Previously, \
admins on Wikimedia wikis for example, would need script editing access for this and \
rely on copy-paste instructions from another person via the talk page.

SD0001 also introduced `Module::getSkins` in ResourceLoader, and used it in the \
startup module <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ResourceLoader/Architecture#Front-end> \
to optimise away unneeded module registrations \
<https://techblog.wikimedia.org/2019/09/19/wikipedias-javascript-initialisation-on-a-budget/>. \
We just shipped the first adoption of this for Gadgets (T236603 \
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T236603>). In the future, we'll use this to \
optimise MediaWiki's own skin modules as well.

This award is given once a quarter, and manifests as a Phabricator badge.

More information and past recipients:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Performance_Team/Web_Perf_Hero_award

Phabricator badge:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/badges/view/17/

-- Timo Tijhof, on behalf of WMF Performance Team.