List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l] Releasing a small tool to explore wikipedia users contributions
From:       Shrinivasan T <tshrinivasan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-11-26 14:47:51

Last week, we had a Indic Wikisource Proofreadthon 2020 event. see
here for full details

https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Indic_Wikisource_Proofreadthon_2020

Though I did not participate in this event, (feels sad for this. Life
is too messy nowadays), I thought to build a small tool to give report
on any wikipedia user's contribution on a given wikisite for a given
date range.

It may help to calculate, measure, decide on the contributions for
such competitions.

Mediawiki has a good API to fetch user contributions.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/API:Usercontribs

Get all edits by a user.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:MyLanguage/API:Usercontribs

For my wonder, there was a sample python code on the same page.

The code gave only 500 results. I wrote a loop to get the data batch
by batch till all the data is received.

Published the tool here –
https://github.com/tshrinivasan/wiki_user_contributions_report

How to run?

<start_date> <end_date>

This will give the data as a CSV file. Used a csv-to-html converter
utility to convert this to a web page with all the data in a sortable
table.

For my wonder, my friend Dinesh Karthik, converted this as a nice web
application with flask, dash and hosted in heroku.

https://wiki-user-contributions.herokuapp.com/

Source : https://github.com/Dineshkarthik/wiki-user-contributions

Thanks to Info-farmer for providing the idea, Bartosz Dziewoński on
wikipedia mailing list for answering all my questions, Dinesh for
making a web application quickly.

is a good place to ask any tech questions regarding wikipedia.

Thanks to all wikisource contributors for the event and in general.

--
Regards,
T.Shrinivasan

My Life with GNU/Linux : http://goinggnu.wordpress.com
Free E-Magazine on Free Open Source Software in Tamil : http://kaniyam.com

Get Free Tamil Ebooks for Android, iOS, Kindle, Computer :
http://FreeTamilEbooks.com