List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l] 2018-07-18 Scrum of Scrums meeting notes
From:       Grace Gellerman <ggellerman () wikimedia ! org>
Date:       2018-07-19 16:34:54

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Scrum_of_scrums/2018-07-18

= 2018-07-18=
== Callouts ==
* Fundraising campaigns
https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/CentralNotice/Calendar
* [Perf] Seeking input on wmf-config variables that appear to be unused,
and which we'd like to remove:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Krinkle/Unused_config

== Audiences ==
=== Readers ===
==== iOS native app ====
(Natalia H)
* Blocked by:
    Question for Analytics: can we return an error code if event logging
validation fails? Right now we have to test menually using
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Analytics/Systems/EventLogging/TestingOnBetaCluster#How_to_verify_events

    ** With the current system, no, because the endpoint you're sending to
is a fire-and-forget Varnish server.  This is a good thing to bring up in
the Modern Event Platform Context.
^ thanks, that makes sense 👍 (let me know if you want to brainbounce the
problem that this causes ~~~~ milimetric)
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**User testing of feed redesign and navigation changes in progress (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198932)
**6.0.0 (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/ios-app-v6.0-walrus-on-a-unicycle/)
feature-complete
by the end of this week
**Product at Wikimedia

==== Android native app ====
(Natalia H)
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**Finishing up prototypes of navigation updates:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/project/view/3367/
**Maintenance release this week to address minor analytics issues and audio
playback. https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198504

==== Readers Web ====
(Stephen N)
* Blocked by:
** New service request: chromium-render/deploy
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T186748
*** We're not blocked but we're ready to help as needed on:
****
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/mediawiki/services/chromium-render/+/443465/
 (+1d but needs review by Petr when available!)
**** https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T199264 (not sure what the status is)
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** RFC: Add a language agnostic build step to skins/extensions to our
deploy process https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T199004
** Mobile website (MinervaNeue / MobileFrontend):
*** Page issues UI and instrumentation T191532 T191528 T197932 T197931
T199005
*** Special pages preferences T186760
*** Document existing JavaScript code coverage T197637
*** Other fixes and hygiene T193172 T197133 T198930
** WikidataPageBanner
*** Banners should display the same in RTL or LTR T198818
** PDF rendering (Proton):
*** Font configuration T199264
** Desktop website (Popups):
*** Identify aborted HTTP requests logged T199482
*** Some JSDoc improvements and other fixes T198663
** Wikipedia.org (Portals)
*** Extra spacing on article counts T199337
** Product and design at Wikimania
** Design finishing navigation prototypes for advanced contributors

==== Readers Infrastructure ====
* Blocked by: n/a
* Blocking: n/a
* Updates:
** Working on updating maps dependencies to use a more recent Mapnik
version (https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T188674)
** Building a Docker Compose setup for maps stack (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T193232)
** content-html endpoint:
*** new name tbd T199491
*** working on splitting up CollapseTable in wikimedia-page-library into
client and server portions
** Working on respecting the accept-language header in MCS (
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T197009)

==== Multimedia ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Half the team is incommunicado for Wikimania; progress is minimal this
week I think
** Search prototype is progressing
** Designs coming through soon for other work

=== Contributors ===
==== Community Tech ====
* Blocked by:
    *Security*: Need security review for TemplateWizard extension
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198666
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** GlobalPreferences API is out on beta. There's a breaking change that
fixes a 'bug' that was introduced with blacklist notifications. Should not
affect anyone.
**

==== Anti-Harassment Tools ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

==== Editing ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
** Updates:
**

==== Parsing ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Completed migration from Tidy to Remex, no major issues reported

==== Growth ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

==== Language ====
* Blocked by: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T199011 -> VE:
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T196521
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Progress on 'Progress Calculation' for CX2.
** Some annoying bug fixes for CX1.
** Fixed issues with cxserver and maintainance updates.

=== Audiences Design ===
==== UI Standardization ====
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** OOUI v0.27.5 released last week with accessible tabs, and standard
buttons in dialogs. No release this week
** Continuous work on Special:Preferences connected tasks and minor support
for Special:Log to OOUI preparation
** Design Style Guide: Color section/palette visual refresh, mobile
friendly: https://design.wikimedia.org/style-guide/visual-style_colors.html

== Technology ==
=== Analytics ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** We had a kafka main outage due to a stale testing environment for rest
base, working with SRE teams to get more kafka expertise in ops teams so
analytics is not the main point of contact of tier-1 service:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation/20180711-kafka-eqiad#Kafka_considerations

** New maps on wikistats. See pageviews for portuguese wikipedia around the
world:
https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/pt.wikipedia.org/reading/page-views-by-country/normal
 |map|2-Year~2016060100~2018071700|~total
** Added Historic data to UI, see legacy pageviews for portuguese
wikipedia:
https://stats.wikimedia.org/v2/#/pt.wikipedia.org/reading/legacy-page-views/normal
> bar|All~1980010100~2018071700|~total
** More friendly configuration on turnilo to explore datasets with numeric
dimensions, this will help SRE and perf team troubleshoot issues with
near-realtime data. See request-size for example:
https://turnilo.wikimedia.org/#webrequest_sampled_128

=== Cloud Services ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

=== Fundraising Tech ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** Thanks to the core team for fixing the bug blocking CentralNotice
translatable message saves!
** More public testing of new API for main CC processor
** More work on email opt-in checkbox for selected countries
** More work on donor data export and expurgation
** More work on new data pipeline for banner and landing page views
** Working on support for es-419 (LatAm Spanish) in donation pipeline

=== MediaWiki Core Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

=== Performance ===
(Ian M)
* Blocked by:
**SRE - Waiting on several puppet reviews/merges related to the webperf
profile/roles
* Blocking:
** None
* Updates:
**Mcrouter writes config broke things when we deployed it last week,
resulting in a partial outage.  Rolled back, and have since fixed that
issue, but have not scheduled the rollout of the fix.  Incident report at
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/Incident_documentation/20180710-MediaWiki
** Also found an issue with mcrouter not properly supporting Unicode keys.
Wrote a patch to address that which has landed on master, and has been
backported.
** fixed a few different unit tests that were sporadically failing
** Seeking input on wmf-config variables that appear to be unused, and
which we'd like to remove:
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Krinkle/Unused_config

=== Release Engineering ===
(Hashar)
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
** webpack for extensions https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T199004
** ORES CI patches fail https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198201
* Updates:
** {done} Mobile CI job to Docker:
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/#/c/integration/config/+/442126/
** Flappy tests blocking PageTriage changes
https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T198137
*** worked around by disabling a test on Friday 07/13
https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/445394
*** Test suite ongoing improvement to properly fix the underlying issue

** CI Jenkins to be upgraded to latest LTS
** Various wikimedia deployed extensions fail tests in CI. Antoine will
reach out to teams. (parent task https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T183512 )
*** Eg: ArticlePlaceholder , Cognate, intersection,
LabeledSectionTransclusion, TrustedXFF, WikibaseLexeme

=== Research ===
* Blocked by: none
* Blocking: none
* Updates:
** Wikimania
** Analyzed the inital set of CitationUsage data. Making adjustments to the
code to collect more data.
** Working on re-running the UnsourcedStatements WikiLabels campaign.

=== Scoring Platform ===
* Blocked by:
** JADE storage discussion continues, latest twist is that we should go
back to TechCom.
* Blocking:
* Updates:
** wp10 storage enabled in euwiki
** Migrating to new library for abstraction of wikibase entities in ores is
going on (from pywikibase to mwbase)

=== Search Platform ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

=== Security ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

=== Services ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

=== Site Reliability Engineering ===
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

== Wikidata ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

== German Technical Wishlist ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

== Multi-Content Revisions ==
* Blocked by:
* Blocking:
* Updates:
**

== SoS Meeting Bookkeeping ==
* Updates:
**Would it help to schedule this meeting earlier in the day?
***Participants of the meeting said yes
***Proposal to experiment with holding meeting 2 hours earlier