List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Roadmap for continued compatibility with MySQL
From:       Jaime Crespo <jcrespo () wikimedia ! org>
Date:       2017-10-20 7:20:38

> How many years into the future is it reasonable to expect that MySQL will
remain a recommended database server for "production use" along with
MariaDB now that the Foundation has switched to using MariaDB internally

Given a migration back to MySQL is not out of the table for us WMF DBAs,
and I will complain if we drop compatibility; I would say both MariaDB and
MySQL will probably be supported for as long as the databases are or even
more- we just "upgraded" the requirements from 5.0 to 5.5 for newer mw
versions.

> but the list of variances seems to be slowly growing

That is annoying, and even more worrying to me is MariaDB roadmap about
free software/lock-in: https://mariadb.com/bsl-faq-mariadb
https://mariadb.com/projects-using-bsl-11

> is there anywhere else (wiki pages, Phabricator tasks/tags, etc.) that I
should check for technical roadmap information before emailing wikitech-l?

If you are in charge of a mediawiki installation and want to know the
ops/db maintenance side of things, get in contact with me on phabricator; I
would be glad to share experiences.

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:41 AM, Hogan, Michael C <
Michael.C.Hogan2@boeing.com> wrote:

> How many years into the future is it reasonable to expect that MySQL will
> remain a recommended database server for "production use" along with
> MariaDB now that the Foundation has switched to using MariaDB internally? I
> know that MariaDB claims to be drop in compatible with MySQL, but the list
> of variances seems to be slowly growing. References...
> * Compatibility - [[mw:Compatibility]]
> * MariaDB support? - [[mw:Topic:R1hqki3kaytylml4]]
> * https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/mariadb-vs-mysql-compatibility/
>
> Other than [[mw:Compatibility]] on mediawiki.org is there anywhere else
> (wiki pages, Phabricator tasks/tags, etc.) that I should check for
> technical roadmap information before emailing wikitech-l?
>

> Thank you!
> Michael

Jaime Crespo
<http://wikimedia.org>