List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Gertty a console interface to Gerrit
From:       Merlijn van Deen <valhallasw () arctus ! nl>
Date:       2014-09-25 20:49:07

On 25 September 2014 11:22, Antoine Musso <hashar+wmf@free.fr> wrote:

> It might not work on our Gerrit setup though :-D

It does! I used the following config section:

servers:
  - name: wmf
    url: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r
    # Your gerrit username.
    username: valhallasw
    # Set password at https://review.openstack.org/#/settings/http-password
    # Note this is not your launchpad password.
    password: xxxxxxxxxxx
    git-root: ~/src/

Let me start with the positive, then to some criticism that might help
others get started more quickly.

The project view / change list is awesome! It's really quick to do a
checkout (instantly -- after all, the change is already downloaded!) and
it's great to just ALT-2 (=CR+2) a change.

However, I am running into some issues. First of all, the software has a
learning curve that's comparable to Gerrit itself ('press L to get into the
project list, then select projects to follow using c'). It does have
on-line help (press F1), which helps. Most dangerous operations (except for
CR+2) have a second prompt, so it's not too easy to break something.

Secondly. getting projects set up is a pain. First of all, it doesn't work
under Screen -- the selection bar doesn't show up. Secondly, it's slow.
Horribly slow. You press the magic 'L' button (to get the full project
list) and then you wait. And you wait. And you wait. Loading the project
list takes something like half a minute, and in the meanwhile *nothing
tells you that your command has been received, *so you're never quite sure
if you should just press the key again or not. ESC is supposed to bring you
to a previous screen, but that also takes ages. Or doesn't work at all -- I
ctrl-C'ed and restarted gertty.

However, once you're through that step -- and it's a one-time step anyway,
it's pretty cool!

One other thing to note: gertty forces you to use a
$DIR//project/subproject/etc git structure. Not a disaster, but it would
have been great if I could just have used my existing repositories.

Merlijn