List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] GSoC & FOSS OPW selection process
From:       Quim Gil <qgil () wikimedia ! org>
Date:       2014-03-28 16:24:52

Hi, an update.

On Friday, March 21, 2014, Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Everybody is invited to join the selection process.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Mentorship_programs/Selection_process

Mentors have started evaluating candidates yes/maybe/no in the GSoC and OPW
private sites. I have started checking the yes/no against the criteria of
our selection process, agreeing or not with the evaluation, and usually
leaving feedback in the proposal's talk page. Basically, I'm playing evil's
advocate, trying to push the announced goal of quality over quantity.

Next Monday, one week before our deadline to request a number of slots for
GSoC and OPW, we will start focusing on the maybes, resolving them in one
direction or another.

We still have three relevant proposals from active candidates that are
lacking confirmed mentors and a proper evaluation:

UniversalLanguageSelector fonts for Chinese wikis, by Aaron Xiao
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Xiaoxiangquan/UniversalLanguageSelector_Fonts_for_Chinese_wikis
Liangent and David Chan are interested in co-mentoring, they need help from
a developer familiar with ULS.

Automatic cross-language screenshots for user documentation, by Vikas S
Yaligar
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Vikassy/GSoC14
There have been some informal conversations, but there is nothing
confirmed. At least one developer familiar with our Coninuous Integration /
QA testing tools is needed.

Frontend for Vector skin CSS customizations, by Ioannis Protonotarios
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Protnet/Frontend_for_Vector_skin_CSS_customizations
No mentors confirmed (or mentioned at all?). At least one mentor familiar
with MediaWiki extension development is required.

Volunteers are still welcome! Mentoring or helping evaluating proposals and
candidates. Ten days to go, there is still time to make informed decisions.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2014

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/FOSS_Outreach_Program_for_Women/Round_8

By April 7 we need to decide how many slots we want to request in each

--
Quim Gil
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/User:Qgil