List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikimedia Hackathon 2013 brainstorming
From:       Sumana Harihareswara <sumanah () wikimedia ! org>
Date:       2013-01-28 23:17:02

> On Jan 24, 2013, at 1:10 PM, Quim Gil <qgil@wikimedia.org> wrote:
>> * Unclear (to me, still) actual purpose, goal and fit with the rest of Wikimania.

The people who run the hackathon can choose to concentrate on inreach,
which will happen anyway: the existing Wikimedia tech community gets
together and aligns and executes.  And/or, the hackathon organizers can
choose to concentrate on empowering regular Wikimedians to learn skills,
to improve their own browsing and contributing experiences, and to
possibly join the tech crowd.  I'm in favor of doing it as
inreach/outreach hybrid, because the former will happen practically on
its own, and the latter is a big opportunity.  The big commitment
necessary for outreach: we must arrange to have several extroverted
helpers onsite, to matchmake and help newbies get past blocks.  Three is
not enough.

Asheesh and Quim, of the newbie-to-WM-tech participants in the Wikimania
2012 hackathon, can you tell what proportion are still contributing now?
--
Sumana Harihareswara
Engineering Community Manager