List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l]  grouping users - an idea for a new SUL improvement
From:       "Federico Leva (Nemo)" <nemowiki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-01-25 9:11:41

 > Does anyone have any stats on how far short we are of that
 > goal?  As in, what fraction of accounts on all wikis are still part
 > of the 'messy' part of SUL rather than the 'clean' part?
 >
 > --HM

What's messy and what's not? Real usernames conflicts seem pretty rare
nowadays and it's not really a problem in general, nor you can predict
when it will.[1]
Really messy situations might be when a user has more edits and would
get the global account but another one is sysop somewhere else, or when
unattached accounts are active in multilingual wikis.

Anyway it could be useful to know (and not hard to query) how many user
accounts are there 1) with some activity in the last year, 2) not fully
unified on all CentralAuth wikis, 3) nor fully unifiable by email or
password.
3) is very important: there are still many unique usernames whose owner
didn't care to unify yet and perhaps we should suggest them en masse to
merge accounts.

Nemo

[1] For instance, there are dozens of "Nemo" who happily live alone in
their pet projects because I didn't try to usurp them.