List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Setting Bugzilla Priority
From:       MZMcBride <z () mzmcbride ! com>
Date:       2011-04-22 0:54:58

Mark A. Hershberger wrote:
> Finally, my role is not to allocate WMF developer's time.  I'm going to
> work with their supervisors to make sure that the work I'm assigning to
> developers stands a reasonable chance of getting done.  In fact, I may
> do this most often by assigning bugs to the EPMs instead of the
> developers themselves.

I really don't like the idea of assigning bugs to people who you know will
not be resolving these bugs. I'm mentioning this in a subsequent e-mail as I
just received some bugspam where someone has been assigned to a bug who I
know will not be resolving it. While some level of bugspam is to be
expected, changing the assignee on a bug to someone who's only going to have
to reassign it to the proper person is a silly step that creates noise
without any signal.

A better solution would be to e-mail these people directly with bug links
and ask them to assign the bugs properly or make lists on a wiki
page/EtherPad/wherever.

MZMcBride