List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Status of mobile site (again)
From:       MZMcBride <z () mzmcbride ! com>
Date:       2011-04-21 14:11:59

church.of.emacs.ml wrote:
> since it has been two months since the topic has been brought up on this
> list... what's the current status of the mobile site? There has been a
> job opening, which closed a few days ago, are there any news on that yet?

A guy named Patrick Reilly has been hired to redo the mobile site. Tomasz
Finc is the Engineer Program Manager in charge of this (cc'ing him). He
should have a bit more information. As far as I know, the guy started very
recently and is getting familiarized with the current setup/architecture
before he begins redesigning and re-implementing it.

> The problems with the mobile site are not about aesthetics or minor
> bugs, but about core features / use cases that are broken.
> A fix (either bug fixes or a re-write) is needed ASAP.

Yeah, the current mobile site is pretty bad, and not just in terms of user
usability. Personally I disabled it on my phone long ago. A rewrite seems to
be a fairly high priority for the Wikimedia Foundation though, so I expect
to see some major progress on this in the next few months.

MZMcBride