List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Anyone with CSS fu that can help out on Flagged
From:       Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+wikilist () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-31 18:11:27

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 1:38 AM, Maciej Jaros <egil@wp.pl> wrote:
> Hm... Indeed... Weird. I haven't noticed that Wiki is shown in
> compatibility view just because of the by domain settings... That alone
> at least doesn't change much in horizontal positions of elements (only
> the search bar seems to be affected).

The site might be in IE7 compatibility mode, but it still should use
correct box widths.

> Still, using CSS for positioning is always risky unless an element to be
> positioned is anchored inside an element over which you want to position it.

More precisely, absolute positioning is only a good idea if a) you
know for sure which element will act as the anchor, and b) really want
a fixed offset from the borders of that element without regard to any
other elements that may be present.  Neither one of those two seems to
be the case here, so absolute positioning doesn't seem ideal.