List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l]
From:       Tisza Gergo <gtisza () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-05-23 10:52:04

Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton <at> gmail.com> writes:

> On 23 May 2010 01:17, Rob Lanphier <robla <at> robla.net> wrote:
> > The problem as I understand it is this.  Other wikis (e.g. German, Polish)
> > are using FlaggedRevs as originally designed, with many different flags
> > corresponding to "sighted", "quality", "accuracy" and so on.  The proposed
> > implementation on English Wikipedia is binary: either an article is accepted
> > or its not.  Many strings in the English version were changed to correspond
> > to this usage.
>
> As I understand it, the software has three dimensions (accuracy, depth
> and style) each with five levels. The fact that the enwiki
> implementation only uses one of those dimensions and only two of the
> levels shouldn't really change anything - the other 13 messages are
> just unused.
>
> In hindsight, the number of dimensions and number of levels shouldn't
> have been hard-coded at all. There just have just been a two
> dimensional array with the size and contents entirely customisable
> (either through the message system or a special configuration page).

Both the number and the size of the dimensions is customizable - hu.wikipedia,
for example, uses a single dimension with three settings (unreviewed, sighted,
featured). There is a meta-dimension with pre-set levels (in the old version:
none, sighted, quality, pristine) which is the one taken into account for access
permissions/which version to show. How it depends on the manually set dimensions
is again customizable; eg. you can set the sighted means accuracy>=1,
accessibility>=1, neutrality>=2. Or (which is, I think, what most wikis did) you
can have a single manually set dimension with names like "sighted" and have the
hardcoded dimension mirror its value.