List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Minify
From:       Robert Rohde <rarohde () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-06-27 23:36:26

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Platonides<Platonides@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andrew Dunbar wrote:
>> This sounds great but I have a problem with making action=raw return
>> something that is not raw. For MediaWiki I think it would be better to
>> add a new action=minify
>>
>> What would the pluses and minuses of that be?
>>
>> Andrew Dunbar (hippietrail)
>
> +1
>
> There are uses depending on action=raw to download the wikitext.
> The proposed new action is autoexplicative, so it seems a good idea.

Are their uses that depend on dowloanding the wikitext of CSS and JS pages??

The extension only modifies content from CSS and JS pages (e.g.
Monobook.css), and then only if the ctype and/or gen query parameter
is also specified.  It would leave the content from action=raw
unchanged in all other cases.  Capturing content via action=raw seems
necessary since that is the request mechanism used by Skin.php when
inserting CSS and JS links.  To generate the same effect with
"action=minify" would require significant changes to Skin.php, and
would seem to go well beyond the scope of a simple extension.

-Robert Rohde