List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] <s>10k</s> 50k!
From:       Neil Harris <usenet () tonal ! clara ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-11-30 14:50:50

Thomas Dalton wrote:
>> In many of those countries end-user points are often connected by
>> satellites, so no local caches would help. Unless, of course, we'd
>> have our own satellite :)
>>

> Think big, huh? ;)

Satellite distribution by IP multicast is perhaps not as daft as it
sounds: the nature of satellite transmission means that it would cost
the same to send a one-way update datastream to local caches on an
entire continent as it would to send it to a single point on that
continent.

As a result, only a tiny amount of IP capacity on existing satellites
would need to be purchased ot keep local caches up-to-date. It still
wouldn't solve the problem of point-to-point distribution in countries
where no suitable point-to-point terrestrial infrastructure exists, but
it might work well enough for local university caches.

-- Neil