List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Fundraiser blog entry wanted (was Hosting for the
From:       Mark Bergsma <mark () wikimedia ! org>
Date:       2007-11-25 20:42:49

Simetrical wrote:
>> You'll see there are fundraiser blog posts being linked from the
>> sitenotice. We could really do with one about the technical structure,
>> the *remarkable* feat we manage of running this site on nearly nothing
>> and the fact that more money = better service.
>>
>> Is there anyone who knows the structure well enough to describe it
>> simply and has time to write something quickly? Presumably someone
>> should stick around for the "why don't you ..." questions in the
>> comments.
>
> There are a fair number of such descriptions around.  I was just
> looking at this earlier tonight to clarify a point I was unsure of
> (how requests were sent to the closest Squid cluster):
>
> http://www.slideshare.net/kapil/wikimediaarchitecture/

Fantastic to see people give out permission to use *my* copyrighted
material in several places without blinking... :)

(although that db diagram on slide 27 is actually made by Domas, used
with his permission of course ;)

The originals are here: http://www.nedworks.org/~mark/presentations/

--
Mark Bergsma <mark@wikimedia.org>
System & Network Administrator, Wikimedia Foundation