List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Wikimedia on-site documentation
From:       erik_moeller () gmx ! de (Erik Moeller)
Date:       2003-12-31 8:34:00

Dan-
> If the documentation used a "Help:" namespace, then none of
> the links would have to be updated, and all an administrator of a new
> site would need to do would be to download the documentation database
> dump and upload it.

Yes, a Help: namespace would probably make sense. Compare:

        Help:Edit conflicts     Wikipedia:Edit conflicts
        Help:Editing            Wikipedia:Editing help
        Help:Sections           Wikipedia:Sections

Besides, our own spin-off projects have the exact same problems as Memory
Alpha when it comes to these help texts.

Offering this for download would be very easy if it contains no self-
references and is nicely isolated. For bonus points, write a script that
automatically fetches and installs the latest version of the help texts
(preserving older versions and warning if they exist).

What to do with "Help talk:"? Should they point to the Meta talk pages?

If everyone agrees, I can set up the Help: namespace on meta, and you
people can try to come up with a site-independent structure and contents
for it. All that needs to be done then is add the Help: namespace to the
default, export it into a tarball regularly, and optionally, provide the
aforementioned import script.

Regarding translations, since Meta is supposed to be multilingual, we'll
just have to set up separate namespaces for each language there, e.g.
Hilfe:, Aide: etc.

As for the policies, this would be the kind of stuff I'd like to see in a
web-based installation script (phpBB like), where you then could just
select some key policies

        [ ] NPOV
        [ ] Naming conventions
        [ ] Fiction

And the script would automatically import these into the $wgSiteName
namespace. Yeah, I'm dreaming, I know.

Regards,

Erik