List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] European language wiki's to own server+database.
From:       Lightning <lightning () chaos-productions ! com>
Date:       2003-07-29 15:17:53

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>>which reminds m... Any status update on the wikimedia foundation?? I
>>know as of know Its officially a non-profit, but still hasn't achieved
>>IRS tax exempt status. So, where are we with that? Have the papers been
>>filed, or not? And how many more steps do we have afterwards. It'd be
>>nice to have an estimated time by when this could be done. Is it going
>>to take a couple of weeks or a couple of months? Just curious, and eager
>>to donate....
>>

>Alex is an attorney who does this kind of thing all the time, and he
>is now advising me.  We chatted last week, and are scheduled to chat
>again this week.  At that time, I'll be submitting to him the
>completed application, by-laws, etc., for him to review and make
>suggestions.  Also, I have to register with Florida and California as
>a charity, etc. If I've done a good job, it'll be a matter of sending
>the apps to the relevant agencies.
>
>However, we can actually start accepting donations before that, he
>tells me.  So I'm setting up a bank account and a merchant account and
>a paypal account for all of that.
>
>I would say within 2 weeks to 1 month, we'll be ready to do a press
>release (to Slashdot, for example) and to have a pledge week or
>something like that.
>
>--Jimbo

Slick. Let us know when that's up and which one charges you a smaller
fee. Also, Are you going to put up a musicbrainz-style finances page? I
really like that about Music Brainz, I think it encourages people to
donate because they see exactly where the money they donate is going.
It's just a list people who donated either with ther name or no name or
a pseudonym if they want to and how much they donated as well as a list
of expenses and It's updated every day or so I would guess. I think that
kind of thing really helps the credibility of projects and makes people
more comfortable with donating their money.

Lightning