List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l] Re: Countering the vandals who attack users (not just pages)
From:       "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler () dwheeler ! com>
Date:       2003-05-23 13:26:59

Ah well, I knew many of these ideas would be controversial!
Thanks for the many replies.

However, I haven't heard anyone comment about changing the
"talk" pages into a threaded discussion group:

> A related idea might be to modify the "talk" system so that it's
> more like a bulletin board, with threaded messages and
> a clear identification of who made it (click on "reply" to reply
> to that item, maybe in a threaded way). That way, any message is
> clearly
> identified with its REAL author.  A side-effect would be that
> the attribution would happen automatically (no more
> forgetting ~~~~).  That way, when people discuss things, they
> can't make it appear that someone else made an outrageous/nasty
> statement.
(Yes, a "diff" will show reality, but it's hard to go through
every diff to see what really happened.)

Presumably there's some acceptance of mailing lists, since
we're talking on one...! :-).  Are there fewer objections to
this idea?