List:       wikitech-l
Subject:    [Wikitech-l] Search results - please let people know search is disabled.
From:       "David A. Wheeler" <dwheeler () dwheeler ! com>
Date:       2003-05-08 21:33:49

When I type in a search request, e.g., "Unix" or "Europe",
Wikipedia reports "No article title matches" - even if there's
an EXACT match that "Go" will find.

Can "Search" do the following:
1. Report an EXACT match, if there is one, no matter what?
2. Report that title searching has been disabled (if it has),
instead of reporting that there are no matches?

I understand why it's been disabled (performance), but it
gives new users a MUCH worse impression of Wikipedia's contents
than is deserved.  Currently, it looks like Wikipedia has no
content, and it CLEARLY reports that there are no title matches
even when there are. I suspect many people don't notice the
"Go" button - I didn't until someone else mentioned it
on the mailing list.

I put this in as a Bug report, but I'm not sure I made myself
clear.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Thanks.