List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...
From:       "Matthew Brown" <morven () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-24 13:52:17

On 10/24/06, Maury Markowitz <maury_markowitz@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe, but you have to hear about it first. I didn't. No one I know has. So
> who HAS heard of CC other than a few wiki-laywers and nerds? Can the number
> of people in the general public that are aware of these issues be
> represented on a handheld calculator?

My handhold calculator handles up to 10^99, so that's not really a
great way of describing it ;)  But I suspect you meant within seven
digits or so, so I suspect no more than a few million people worldwide
have even heard of it, yes.

A fairly large number of people on Flickr use CC licenses, for
example, but almost all of them pick 'non-commercial', since that
option is there and the knee-jerk reaction is 'Of course I don't want
corporations profiting off my work!'.

Some education/evangelism about free content and its benefits is
probably in order.

-Matt