List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Dream a little...
From:       "Alphax (Wikipedia email)" <alphasigmax () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-10-22 4:49:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Ray Saintonge wrote:
> Alphax (Wikipedia email) wrote:
>
>> Roger Luethi wrote:
>>

>>> It is not so much about copyright reform as it is about investing money
>>>
>>> rather than spending it, and this is a rare opportunity to talk about that.
>>>
>>> Another example, unrelated to copyright reform: Wikipedia editors need
>>> access to primary sources, particularly academic journals. The fate of
>>> current ventures in Open Access journals largely determines whether most
>>> potential Wikipedia editors will have easy access to the sources they need
>>> in the years to come, and funding for these journals (or lack thereof) will
>>> be a major factor.
>>>

>> Right. There are journal archives around with stuff going back hundreds
>> of years, but they claim copyright on all their materials; if we could
>> free that which already qualifies for PD-old, it would be a major step
>> in the right direction.
>>
> Being copyright is not just a simple matter of claiming copyright.  The
> old stuff is already free; it doesn't need any more freeing.  The law
> decides, not the claimants.  If it qualifies just use it.

I can't legally do so without violating the TOS of the archives; they
scanned and (apparantly) OCRed the originals, and claim copyright over
all their materials. I respect the copyright on the OCRing, but not on
the scanning (Bridgeman vs. Corel). Unfortunately I'm not in the United
States, so I can't use that as my excuse.