List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] [WikiJA-l] Korean servers to be shuffled: ja, ko,
From:       Brion Vibber <brion () pobox ! com>
Date:       2006-09-30 6:47:02

Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Just a heads-up; we're planning to move the backend hosting for
>> Japanese, Korean, Malay, and Thai Wikipedias from our Korean server
>> cluster (yaseo) back to the main servers in Florida (pmtpa) later this
>> week.
>
> We'll start at about 18:00 UTC Friday evening (1am Thailand, 2am
> Malaysia, 3am Japan and Korea). It will take a few hours to dump the
> databases, copy them, and re-import them, but if everything goes
> smoothly we hope to have these wikis back to read-write sometime late
> Saturday morning local time.
>
> There will also be a brief read-only period for most of our other wikis
> when we switch database servers during the import. That should last only
> a few minutes, and will not affect en.wikipedia.org (which is on a
> different database server). It should be some time in late evening or
> night European time.

The move is complete. With a better suggestion from Tim Starling, we were able
to reduce the read-only time to a few minutes for the general issues and about
an hour on the wikis actually being moved.

Please let us know about any unresolved problems or issues, of course.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)