List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia:Verifiability
From:       Elisabeth Bauer <elian () djini ! de>
Date:       2006-08-22 8:55:24

Александр Сигачёв wrote:
> So, even fundamental policies (translations of them) such as
> Verifiability and NPOV should be approved. Right?

No. They don't have to be approved, it's a core principle that all
articles in Wikipedia should be verifiable and neutral.

But there is no obligation to translate the english policy pages - every
wikipedia is free to formulate their own verifiability policy as long as
it successfully accomplishes its purpose.

When I created policy pages for the German Wikipedia I usually looked
around for inspiration in other language Wikipedia, adopted what seemed
good and wrote it in my own words.

Regarding approval: If a wikipedia doesn't already approve NPOV and
verifiability, then there's something seriously wrong with its
community. The individual wording of your policy pages, be it translated
or written by yourself, should of course meet the approval of the
community as well.

Now, the important point: Events like on
http://en.wikiversity.org/w/index.php?title=Wikiversity:Policies&oldid=9980
are the completely wrong way to establish policies. Discuss policies
widely in the community, change policies upon good suggestions, be open
about it. But a vote should only be held if other ways were tried.

Good policies will be unspokenly approved by the community following
them and ascertaining that they are obeyed, bad policies will just get
ignored.

greetings,
elian