List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] RFC: Principles of mass content adding on small
From:       Heiko Evermann <heiko.evermann () gmx ! de>
Date:       2006-02-24 8:04:30

Hi Milos, hi Sabine,

There is one aspect in this project that is totally missing so far: it has to
be checked, whether these small wikipedias really want this mass inclusion.
Please do not add such content without consensus.

Just imagine a small wikipedia with e.g. 2000 articles. If you then add 20000
stubs about geographic places, this will ususally not do the wikipedia a
favour. I just try to imagine 2000 articles following the template
"x is a city in y with 20000 inhabitants.
a% of them speak b
c% of them speak d
x lies in the administrative region of z".

It would just promise an incredibly high article count and once you browse
through the wikipedia 95% of you find is template articles. A small
wikipedia's team will probably not have the resources of turning 20000
geographical stubs into meaningfull articles and even if it had, it would
probably prefer spending their time on other things that are more important
than stubs about every village in other countries than their own.

I am not convinced that this is a service. To me it looks more than a burden.

Kind regards,
Heiko Evermann