List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] road to stability, formatted. last kick-off posting.
From:       Magnus Manske <magnus.manske () web ! de>
Date:       2005-12-07 15:15:07

Delirium wrote:

> Daniel Mayer wrote:
>
>> Why not just copy the source HTML of a reference stable revision at
>> the time of marking and serve
>> that? That way whatever was in the template at the time of the
>> snapshot will be displayed as the
>> stable HTML copy.
>>
> Copying the state of the template at the time sounds like the most
> foolproof solution, but it will have to be a copy of the wikitext
> rather than an HTML copy if we want to keep all our various
> user-configurable display features (e.g. date and link formatting).

Of course, the most *elegant* way to solve the template problem would be
to use the stable version of a template when displaying a stable
article. We don't want an immutable page, after all, just a "stabelized"
one, to assure quality. Right?

But somehow that screams "dependency and caching hell"...

Tech note : Besides page_latest, there's now page_stable (default=0),
which could be used for template queries (with page_latest as fallback).

Magnus