List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikipedia + culture differences on different
From:       Ray Saintonge <saintonge () telus ! net>
Date:       2005-11-03 18:37:37

Ting Chen wrote:

>>I observed that the debates in many wikis are quite similar. You'll find
>>the repeating deletionist/inclusionist debate in en, de, fr... as well
>>as you find - justified and unjustified - complaints about censorship
>>and abuse of admin powers. The complaint from this spanish user was
>>posted on de as well, someone gave a summary in german which made
>>everyone instantly loose interest - just because all this sounded so
>>familiar to the standard complaint of our trouble makers (all the key
>>words included).
>>

>I can confirm that this is the same in the chinese Wikipedia. Actually we
>have just had a very intensive debate about how to handle substubs and if
>anime figures could have their own article. We have also had debates about
>how to handle articles which is marked as fast deletable, and the criterians
>of fast deletable articles, and natually complaints about this or that
>decision of this or that sysop.

The world is evolving as it should. :-)

Each community will need to go through this, perhaps repeatedly.  What
happens on the other wikis can provide instructive shortcuts, but should
not bind anybody.  Unless you go through it you will not have learned
anything.  An ultimate convergence is an article of faith.

Ec