List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Project: This wikipedia-related article is a stub...
From:       Andrew Gray <shimgray () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-07 17:08:41

On 06/09/05, Stan Shebs <shebs@apple.com> wrote:

> The conclusion that I take away from this thread is that yes,
> each wikipedia has its own culture and preferred practices, and
> it would be extraordinarily useful to have articles describing
> all that. Even just a translated summary of distinctive policy
> pages would be helpful to people who are not fluent in the other
> WP's language. For instance, if I were interested in whether the
> Russian WP accepts "fair use" images, an English WP article on
> the Russian WP would probably be a more reliable way to find out
> than by posting an English-language question on the Russian
> equivalent of village pump.

I've just - entirely by coincidence - encountered [[en:Japanese
Wikipedia]]; I suspect this is pretty much an excellent example of
what you want. Contains the usual history section - milestone
articles, media coverage, awards - but also a "Characteristics" page,
which tells us they don't accept fair use, they delete copyvios out of
the history, and - interestingly - that "An article will be deleted if
it countains the name of a private citizen unless they are a public
figure."

The last is certainly one an external user wouldn't have expected, and
this is the sort of thing these pages could be very useful for
generally...

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray@dunelm.org.uk