List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] An idea
From:       Andrew Venier <avenier () venier ! net>
Date:       2005-06-08 0:30:02

Guaka wrote:

>>In a world that is moving to greater transparency, wikipedia is, in
>>fact, a model. Consider being able to earn one's degree by writing on
>>wikipedia.
>>

>But if you accidentally find out something that wasn't known before
>you'd have to erase it from Wikipedia and move it somewhere else... :/
>Which also implies you could never earn a PhD by writing on Wikipedia.
>I hope Wikiresearch and/or Wikiversity will become a bit bigger to
>tackle this inconvenience. :)

How does one, in the course of documenting what is known on a topic,
"accidentally find out something that wasn't known before"?

If one does indeed have brand new ideas about a subject, these ideas
warrant the testing and maturation that comes with peer review and
publication before they warrant being repeated in an encyclopedia.

(assuming you want the encyclopedia to develop a reputation for
reliability, that is.)