List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] An idea
From:       Mark Williamson <node.ue () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-06-06 10:29:27

Sorry, but your last sentence is a bit confusing to me.

Are you trying to say "the Polish Wikipedia would be part of
assignments to add bibliographies, annotation, and various other
activities"?

Mark

On 04/06/05, Stirling Newberry <stirling.newberry@xigenics.net> wrote:

> On Jun 5, 2005, at 1:31 AM, Sj wrote:

> > What Chad said.  Wikipedia will be recognized as an unparallelled
> > reference work soon enough, without anyone apologizing for its muddy
> > openness.  And I think that we will see small scalable gains by
> > improving the way we recognize excellence and expertise in
> > subject-areas -- say, by avoiding the initial stages of certain edit
> > wars, by improving the efficiency of RC-patrol, watchlist-patrol, and
> > article/subject reviewing.  But it seems far more interesting to me to
> > emphasize that our success emerged from the mud and with its help,
> > than to assure everyone that the mud can be washed off.
> >
> > It isn't clear to me that the project would have become such a success
> > /without/ contributions from dedicated kooks, eccentrics, trolls, and
> > people who are just plain misguided in their convictions.  Explicitly
> > focusing on credentials might well reduce contribution; even in its
> > absence, the most common reason my brilliant iconoclastic US friends
> > give me for not writing about <whatever they're reading / studying> in
> > Wikipedia is that they are "no expert" on the subject.
> >
> > --SJ
>
> In a world that is moving to greater transparency, wikipedia is, in
> fact, a model. Consider being able to earn one's degree by writing on
> wikipedia. Edit articles, have a thesis advisor review contributions,
> and score credit appropriately. Adding bibliography, annotation and
> other activities which "polish" wikipedia would be part of assignments.

SI HOC LEGERE SCIS NIMIVM ERVDITIONIS HABES
QVANTVM MATERIAE MATERIETVR MARMOTA MONAX SI MARMOTA MONAX MATERIAM
POSSIT MATERIARI
ESTNE VOLVMEN IN TOGA AN SOLVM TIBI LIBET ME VIDERE