List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] An idea
From:       Stirling Newberry <stirling.newberry () xigenics ! net>
Date:       2005-06-05 5:39:22

On Jun 5, 2005, at 1:31 AM, Sj wrote:

> On 5/24/05, Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 08:04:02PM +0200, Angela wrote:
>>> On 5/24/05, Jimmy Wales <jwales@wikia.com> wrote:
>
> What Chad said.  Wikipedia will be recognized as an unparallelled
> reference work soon enough, without anyone apologizing for its muddy
> openness.  And I think that we will see small scalable gains by
> improving the way we recognize excellence and expertise in
> subject-areas -- say, by avoiding the initial stages of certain edit
> wars, by improving the efficiency of RC-patrol, watchlist-patrol, and
> article/subject reviewing.  But it seems far more interesting to me to
> emphasize that our success emerged from the mud and with its help,
> than to assure everyone that the mud can be washed off.
>
> It isn't clear to me that the project would have become such a success
> /without/ contributions from dedicated kooks, eccentrics, trolls, and
> people who are just plain misguided in their convictions.  Explicitly
> focusing on credentials might well reduce contribution; even in its
> absence, the most common reason my brilliant iconoclastic US friends
> give me for not writing about <whatever they're reading / studying> in
> Wikipedia is that they are "no expert" on the subject.
>
> --SJ

In a world that is moving to greater transparency, wikipedia is, in
fact, a model. Consider being able to earn one's degree by writing on
wikipedia. Edit articles, have a thesis advisor review contributions,
and score credit appropriately. Adding bibliography, annotation and
other activities which "polish" wikipedia would be part of assignments.