List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    [Wikipedia-l] unless [languages] generate their own will to live...
From:       "V. Ivanov" <amikeco () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-02-24 13:53:07

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 10:42:58 -0800, Ray Saintonge wrote:
> It may be sad that many of these lesser known languages are on the path
> to extinction, but unless they generate their own will to live it's not
> going to happen.

Though that was not the main topic of the discussion, I feel the
necessity to point out the common mistake: it is not only the "own
will" that can save lesser used languages. It's also institutional
help that is needed: education in the language, services in the
language, useful books in the language, interesting passtimes using
the language, etc.

The ability to run Internet ecyclopedia in a lesser used language can
surely help the "own will" of its speakers. When such an encyclopedia
appears, it's no longer the fact that "there is no any useful site in
my mother language: why should I keep using it?".

There are only two articles in the Xhosa Wikipedia, but the great
thing is done. Whenever "own will" appears, they can take this site
and make it a great place, as it happens about the Tatar Wikipedia.
Once even the Russian Wikipedia has been an empty place for rather
long time!

Thank all for the great work you do.

Sl. Ivanov

--