List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Enhanced search for local language clusters?
From:       Elisabeth Bauer <elian () djini ! de>
Date:       2004-11-09 12:54:00

Hello,

Bjarte Sorensen wrote:

> Based on what I've said above, I personally believe the suggestions from Andre
> and Mark are both good with a bias towards Andre's suggestion. Leaving two
> wikis for editing in the same language I think is counter-productive and will
> only serve to confuse new users. I think the situation is served best by moving
> the current contents to nb: (while having a server-wide redirect from no: to
> keep search-engine links etc active), and to implement a trans-Scandinavian
> search feature as suggested by Olve Utne on this mailing-list once this is
> technologically possible.
>
> Finally, I also suggest that, if these changes are made, the language names
> showing up in interwiki-links are changed from
>
> Nynorsk ([nn:]) --> Norsk (Nynorsk)
> Norsk ([no:])   --> Norsk (Bokmål) ([nb:])

I'm not familiar with the language situation but how you described it
this seems the most reasonable solution.

However, such a move shouldn't be done without the approval of the
communities of these wikis. To arrive at a decision it therefore seems
best to me to hold a poll on both existing wikis if the communities
support this split.

greetings,
elian