List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikitech-l] Re: [Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia RC is broken
From:       Elisabeth Bauer <elian () djini ! de>
Date:       2004-08-28 21:44:44

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> I think the filtering would only be a partial solution. The reason RC worked
> so well was that every change was reviewed by a few competent people.
> If we divide the RC (and provide a special RC for uncategorized articles,
> from which they will be moved to specialized RCs), this property will be restored.
> With general filtering it seems to me that there are going to be many changes
> which won't get into filters of enough competent people. The only idea
> I have how to cope with that group of changes is the division, but maybe
> there's some other way.

Yesterday I dreamt of a "review queue". There's a common situation: I
check an edit on RC, okay, it's not vandalism, but it smells somehow
fishy. The problem is, I have no knowledge of the subject (say, it is
biology). Currently the only, very stony solution is to leave someone I
know who knows about biology a message on his talk page to please have a
look at the article. But most people don't do that.

Instead, I could - RC patrol mode switched on in my user pref - select
in the diff view the biology-queue, and the edit would go in the review
queue of the biologists where someone checks the edit and removes it
from the queue (and takes the appropriate measures).

Dunno if that's too complicated, sounds like.

greetings,
elian