List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] web of trust
From:       Elisabeth Bauer <elian () djini ! de>
Date:       2004-07-25 1:16:57

David Gerard wrote:
> On 07/24/04 20:20, Daniel Mayer wrote:
>
>> Not sure if having this public will be useful. My idea all along
>> was to have this as part of the software not unlike the watchlist
>> function. Then edits by people you trust (and perhaps people you
>> trust by proxy) would be in small, grayed out text on your
>> watchlist and in Recent Changes. That way your attention is drawn
>> away from edits that you would almost certainly find to be OK.
>
> Absolutely. Something that only affects *your* view of Wikipedia and
> that those on the list cannot see.

that was the origin of the discussion. But as the feature request queue
is long, we decided to experiment with the tools we have. It would be
wonderful, however, to see such a system implemented.

> We *must not* reimplement high school popularity games on Wikipedia.

At the moment I don't have the impression the system develops into a
game of such kind. Sure, there are questions like "why I am not on your
list", but people are dealing with this problem in different,
responsible ways. Many added a personal note taking all the blame on
their shoulders for having forgotten someone, or offer to answer that
question frankly on their talk page etc. Personally, I've some people on
my list with whom I have serious personal problems, but however trust
them as responsible wikipedians.

For the problem of newbies which Timwi brought up: I think that can be
handled the same way the community greets newbies - we can encourage
people to add newbies to their trustlist after good contributions and it
can be turned into a tool to make feel people welcome rather than
excluded from a circle of "oldies": "Oh, someone added me to his
trustlist" - the first step of an admin candidature?.

Everything depends on the use the community makes of it - in itself the
system is neither good nor bad. And despite of all hazzles and little
quarrels, I have some trust in the wikipedia community ;-)

greetings,
elian