List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    Re: [Wikipedia-l] Re: Stop for a moment, please
From:       Jimmy Wales <jwales () bomis ! com>
Date:       2004-01-27 10:53:48

Michael Snow wrote:
> I would still
> suggest that consensus is a goal worth striving for in the foundation
> itself. Dictation certainly helps to get things started sometimes. But
> because of the way humans are, I doubt any dictator can succeed here
> unless the dictation is ultimately accepted by a consensus. So I
> appreciate your efforts to take other opinions into account and provide
> mechanisms for a consensus to develop.

Yes, I absolutely agree with all of that.

> I do agree with Uli that ideally someday "no single person with
> superpowers is needed". Unless perhaps you plan to live forever.

That's right.  Over a period of time, I expect the Wikimedia
Foundation to be a large and famous organization similar to the
National Geographic Society, the Red Cross, or the Salvation Army,
with a wide variety of interests, a large number of employees, an even
larger number of volunteers, etc.

And the transition from where we are today to that point in the future
is going to take many years, and I want to take steps now to ensure
that the growth is well-managed and respectful of our ideals.

--Jimbo