List:       wikipedia-l
Subject:    [Wikipedia-l] Re: [Intlwiki-l] LA2
From:       Lars Aronsson <lars () aronsson ! se>
Date:       2001-10-20 20:49:12

On October 15, Thomas Hofer wrote:
> > 	Eine Katze (Englisch: cat) (Schwedisch: katt) ist ein Tier.
> > [...]
> I'm not entirely happy with this mechanism. If there were 15 articles
> about cat in different languages and I wanted to add a 16th, I had to

Today this problem doesn't exist.  There is no point in linking to the
French, Dutch, or Spanish Wikipedias, because they only have a few
hundred articles, and that just isn't useful.

My intention was not to find the ultimate solution or make anybody
"entirely happy".  All I wanted was to test an idea that allows me to
link to the two existing useful Wikipedias in English and German.

> Here's my conception of the implementation: The links to the different
> languages should not be part of the viewable body of the article, but
> part of the headline or footer (which is generated by wiki). A link
> like (A) can be realized using the upcoming wiki-variables (please read
> the posting of Magnus Manske).

Tell me when you have a working prototype, and I will try it.

--
  Lars Aronsson
  <lars@aronsson.se>