List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Privacy Study Looking for Volunteers
From:       WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-04-09 11:39:42

Real name editing is a very different obligation depending on how common
your real name is and how many edits you make. There are only a handful of
people who share my real name, if my surname was Smith then real name
disclosure would be a much lighter imposition.

It is also a very different thing depending on your subject area. No one is
likely to make a fuss about my fixing typos on Wikipedia, but we need to
protect those who seek to keep our articles on businesses honest and
neutral. If we insist on real names there, then it will be much more
difficult to deal with companies who can write legal letters to anyone who
disputes their version of the wikipedia article on them.

There are also likely to be some people who  write about topics that would
be controversial in their real life community and don't want their real
life identities linked to that, for example if we had an editor in the
Bible belt writing about evolution or atheism..... And of course people who
do things that they don't consider overly controversial but which provoke
rape and murder threats on IRC, here or elsewhere.

Then there is the question of what level of authentication you go to.
Simply requiring people to state that their account name is their real name
will exclude a proportion of goodfaith editors who aren't prepared to do
that, but it won't get rid of any badfaith editors. Verifying identity by
requiring all new editors to pay $5 by a credit card in the same name as
their account would get rid of most vandalism, but make it much harder to
recruit Wikipedians. It would also lose us a lot of editors especially
those who come from cultures where $5 is a lot for a hobby and or credit
cards are rare. Authentication by Facebook would make vandalism a little
more difficult,  though I know people whose pets have accounts, but I'm
pretty sure that those of us who support the open source lobby could
prevent such a path.  Over the years we've had lots of people propose that
we move to real names, but I've not yet seen a proposal that would do so in
a way that would keep almost all of our current and future goodfaith
editors whilst losing a significant proportion of the badfaith ones.

Jonathan