List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Britannica tries for Indian market
From:       WereSpielChequers <werespielchequers () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-24 13:23:23

Yes there are two interesting things that I take from that - Britannia
is talking to the Search engine companies and they are going to host a
local copy in servers in India.

If they came higher up the search rankings where they have articles it
still wouldn't compensate for the relatively small size of their
pedia, especially if most of it will be paywalled.

Overcoming the international bottlenecks on the web by having local or
regional data centres is in my view the one investment that would make
most difference  to Wikipedia in the short to medium term. If
Britannia is ultimately commercial but it is a faster site then they
have a niche.

WereSpielChequers