List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Teach Yourself Wikipedia in 10 Minutes
From:       Carcharoth <carcharothwp () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-12-11 15:00:15

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Charles Matthews
> <charles.r.matthews@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>> Threat not a promise: newish book, anyone read? I see the Signpost are
>> [[Wikipedia:Wikipedia Signpost/Newsroom/Review desk|looking for a
>> reviewer]]. I did try to get a publisher interested in  "Teach Yourself
>> Wikipedia" in early 2006. Do we know Michael Miller, the author? I must
>> say "Participate in the Wikipedia community" sounds great as a bullet
>> point, if all you need is the right 60 seconds of instruction.
>
> What useful information can you get across in sixty seconds? "Please don't cry?"

60 seconds? The book title say "10 minutes"? The key point is really
that it is a moving target. You need to learn how to keep up-to-date
with how to edit Wikipedia. But how long do people think it takes to
get to the stage where you know enough to be able to keep up with
things? If you go inactive, how long does it take to fall behind the
curve and need to re-learn things? And how much time needs to be
invested in terms of activity levels to keep up with things (i.e.
minimum activity level required)? And does it vary depending what sort
of activities you get involved in?

Carcharoth