List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] [Wikipedia-l] Wikipedia was foretold by Vannevar Bush
From:       Joseph Reagle <reagle () mit ! edu>
Date:       2009-03-23 11:48:42

Hi David,  you can pick up on some of WP's ancestors in:
  http://reagle.org/joseph/2005/historical/digital-works.html
This work (and attention on "documentalists") is further developed in my \
dissertation, and book manuscript.

Bush's contributions/prescience is exaggerated according to Michael Buckland.

[[ http://people.ischool.berkeley.edu/%7Ebuckland/goldbush

Abstract:   Vannevar Bush's famous paper "As We May Think" (1945) described an \
imaginary information retrieval machine, the Memex. The Memex is usually viewed, \
unhistorically, in relation to subsequent developments using digital computers. This \
paper attempts to reconstruct the little-known background of information retrieval in \
and before 1939 when "As We May Think" was originally written. The Memex was based on \
Bush's work during 1938-1940 developing an improved photoelectric microfilm selector, \
an electronic retrieval technology pioneered by Emanuel Goldberg of Zeiss Ikon, \
Dresden, in the 1920s. Visionary statements by Paul Otlet (1934) and Walter \
Schuermeyer (1935) and the development of electronic document retrieval technology \
before Bush are examined.

]]