List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Attack Site Wars,
From:       Gwern Branwen <gwern0 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-07-27 13:42:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On  0, Anirudh <anirudhsbh@gmail.com> scribbled:
> 'Essjay', 'Ryan Jordan' and 'Essjay controversy' got a great deal of
> publicity in world dailies. Hell, there was a column in the Times of
> India about the Wiki incident that allegedly shook public trust in the
> integrity of Wikipedia as a reliable source of information; yada yada
> yada
>
> OK, so now we've got the article on Wikipedia, which basically does
> nothing but make a mockery of an individual named Ryan Jordan and
> reminisces about how he fooled us all.

Can't say I agree. As it has stood for a long time, [[Essjay controversy]] \
pathologically goes out of its way to only talk about coverage and the coverage's \
allegations and to avoid any condemnation of his actions, or for that matter any \
discussion of Jordan as a real human being, not to mention all the pertinent \
information (like the Wikipedia Review thread) which we as Wikipedians know about and \
have access to (for this sort of subject, Wikipedians and Wikipedia material \
obviously are expert and reliable - but that's another thread altogether). It doesn't \
even include the Freely licensed photo of the person-wot-dunnit which that person \
uploaded!

--
gwern
AOL AOL TOS CIS CBOT AIMSX STARLAN 3B2 BITNET