List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] "refactoring" signatures
From:       Mark Gallagher <m.g.gallagher () student ! canberra ! edu ! au>
Date:       2006-06-12 4:06:49

G'day Steve,

> On 6/11/06, Ray Saintonge <saintonge@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>As a user of Canadian English I find it best to have a compromise hybrid
>>where some words will have an affinity to AmE and others to BrE,
>>although any single word should be spelled consistently throughout an
>>article.  Insisting on all American or British spelling is really just
>>another form of POV pushing.
>
> Hmm, interesting idea. There is something inconsistent about saying
> that Wikipedia supports all forms of English - except within the one
> article. It would perhaps be better to allow freely mixing spellings
> like this. The downside is that it would be harder to tell when
> someone is changing a spelling to be obnoxious. If someone deletes
> "behavior" and paraphrases to write "civilised people", is that
> changing from Am->Br?

Yes, but inadvertantly.  I'm sure some helpful anon will be along soon
to "correct" the "misspelling" and give us yet another one of those zs
(sorry, zees).

By the way, could we kinda stop using "Br" or "BrE" or "British English"
to refer to variants of English that aren't American?  There's a big,
wonderful, English-speaking world out there that aren't American, and we
aren't British, either.

--
Mark Gallagher
"What?  I can't hear you, I've got a banana on my head!"