List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Category translation
From:       "Steve Bennett" <stevagewp () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-08 18:34:51

On 6/8/06, John Lee <johnleemk@gawab.com> wrote:
> Eh? I've seen lots of Indian editors around, and the Indian community is
> very active.

I was hoping someone would say that. Anyway I'm obviously just not in
the right areas. I love the different flavours of English that you
see. I've been working a bit on [[Comparison between cricket and
baseball]] and in the process been reading lots of articles on
baseball (written almost exclusively by Americans I think) and cricket
(mostly Australians and Brits, though some Indians, Pakistanis etc).
The difference is striking, even if I can't put my finger on it.
Similarly when I once found myself reading some of the articles about
the Singapore MRT system.

That's all stuff essentially written by locals. Working on articles
about French topics is very different - it's mostly either expats like
me, or French people wanting to share their knowledge with the
Anglophone world.

Which I suppose all leads me to think that in places en.wikipedia
*does* reflect local cultures, for articles where that makes sense,
and for more global topics, it has a more global perspective, or at
least a wider one.

Steve