List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Category translation
From:       Elisabeth Bauer <elian () djini ! de>
Date:       2006-06-06 21:52:02

Anthony DiPierro schrieb:

> Jimbo and others have also made it clear that any cultural distinction
> between different language Wikipedias is accidental and in fact goes
> against the intention (this in the context of which languages should
> have a Wikipedia, but the idea carries here as well).  We don't have a
> British Encyclopedia and an American one, because we can both
> understand each other well enough to communicate.  If it were
> *possible* to automatically translate all articles into every language
> while keeping the content the same, we'd do so.  It just isn't, at
> least not with current technology.

Yes, the original plan was to write all articles in Esperanto and then
have them autotranslated to all the other languages of the world. But
somehow, this didn't work out so well.

The rest of your posting is sort of new to me (I wasn't aware that
cultural distinctions between different language Wikipedias were to be
regarded as accidental and against the intention of Wikipedia proper)

--elian