List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] What. The. Fuck??!?
From:       "Dan Rosenthal" <swatjester () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-05-14 3:02:46

On 5/12/06, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/12/06, Ben McIlwain <cydeweys@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Mark Gallagher wrote:
> not
> annoying,
> > >
> > > Mocking the cross?  You can't see what's wrong with that?
> >
> > I don't worship icons, so no, I really don't see what's wrong with it.
> <snip>
> > Ben McIlwain ("Cyde Weys")
>
> I don't worship icons either. I'm completely atheist, but I would
> never DREAM of mocking it. It's simple human decency not to mock
> something that many people love, and worship. It is, at the very
> least, a massive breach of WP:CIVIL.
>
> And even if I'm not religious and don't get personally offended by
> mockery of religious symbols, there are many things that if mocked I
> would get enourmously offended by. For instance, I'm swedish, and if
> anyone says a cross word about Anna Lindh (our Minister of Foreign
> Affairs, who were murdered a couple of years ago), I'm gonna punch him
> out. I'm sure americans say the same thing about, for instance, the
> people who died on 9/11. I'm sure you have a number of things to that
> you wouldn't want mocked, but that other people may not care about.
>
> Also, as Mark Gallagher said, there is a HUGE difference between this
> and the Mohammad Cartoons. Those were for an article on a very notable
> event that demanded that the images were displayed for context. You
> were mocking the worlds largest religion, just for fun.
>
> We're talking simple human decency and civility here. You need to
> apologise.
>
> --Oskar

I'm sorry Oskar but I don't see a difference. The muhammed cartoons were
offensive because they depicted Muhammed. That's what I've always heard the
controversy to be about: any graphic depiction is blasphemous. The cross is
as well a religious symbol. in this case, a slightly modified picture is
being considered "blasphemous". I think there is a difference between
"mocking" and "satire", but it's very slight. Perhaps I'm viewing this all
wrong, I don't know. Oh and if anyone is going to reply to this, odds are I
won't be able to respond until tuesday, sorry.

-Swatjester