List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] 18 months
From:       Pete Bartlett <pcb21 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-04-27 14:46:17

---- Original Message ----
From: Peter Jacobi <peter_jacobi@gmx.net>

>(A) On de: the argument "no real (convential) encyclopedia
>would write this" is by and large honored (or at least considered).
>On en: this argument is ignored, or even considered trollish.

As detail to include in a particular topic, or whether to include a
particular topic area at all?

They must have some cruft right, after all they have nigh on 400k
articles :-) However it does fit with my colloquial observation
from working on the missing topics project that time and again
de: (and perhaps more oddly sv: and sl:) will have article on
fairly famous historical British and American figures that we don't,
but I don't see the converse that often. Not sure how to reconcile
this Elisabeth's data about [[Category:Biographies]] and Persondata
though.

>(B) On de: all articles are expected to be accessable to a general
>audience (the horrible and horribly named "Oma-Test" -- "grandmother
>test").

That is one idea I prefer we _didn't_ import.

>On en: there are a lot of articles in mathematics and physics
>addressed to users definitively having some education in the area.
>I assume most experts are flocking to en: anyway, as it seems
>pointless to have advanced articles in other languages than English

Well English being the "global language" has some effects.
Not least that it becomes a hub for ideas for other languages to
choose from. As Erik said, kust need to make sure we pick the best ideas
from all the others too!