List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] 18 months
From:       Pete Bartlett <pcb21 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2006-04-26 6:39:38

>> Why is that as a community we haven't been badgering the board to do
>> anything dramatic since Wikinews was set up /18/ months ago.

>Cuz Wikinews isn't good yet, Wikipedia is only good in one language
>(German) and usable in a couple more (English, etc.), Wiktionary is
>just there, Wikibooks is a mess, and Wikiversity doesn't even know
>what it is yet.

>It would be best if we didn't subdivide our efforts even more than
>they are now, or we won't get anything done!

 Well "dramatic" didn't have to mean a new project!

Why is de: better than en: is a great question. They appear to have
covered classic encyclopedic topics much better than en: and
their proportion of Exzellente Artikeler is double that of our FAs, despite
standards. How to learn from de would be a great thing to discuss.

You also note that other projects are stumbling along and that they
are cause a sub-division of effort. We should change things so that
projects collaborate routinely. You can click on any word in Britannica
Online and get a dictionary definition for example. Why not have this in
Wikipedia?

Why not have extensions that auto-detect the existence of quotations
or source material by or about a person and even drag a snippet of it
into the sidebar?

Yep there is lots to do, but recently the unimaginative debates
about notability seem to be dominating.

Pete