List:       wikien-l
Subject:    Re: [WikiEN-l] Libel chill
From:       Guy Chapman aka JzG <guy.chapman () spamcop ! net>
Date:       2006-04-22 21:22:36

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:52:15 -0400, you wrote:

>WP:OFFICE should be done publicly.  I am certain that at least old time
>Wikipedians would have enough of a clue to not act like jerks if we
>can't explain right away what is going on.

I think this is a valid point.  Many of us new boys see WP in a
fundamentally different way from how the old-timers see it.  There are
two ways this can go: the newbies come to realise that they are not in
a free-speech free-for-all, or the policies change.  I hope the former
prevails.  I have learned much from watching old-time Wikipedians at
work; if we lose sight of the fact that Wikipedia is supposed to be an
encyclopaedia, it will become - well, something less.

I was a researcher on H2G2 for a long time.  I became frustrated with
the bureaucratic process of publishing and peer review - but actually
it was quite good at preventing crap form being published in the
edited Guide.  It was just frustratingly slow to get updates
recognised.  WP is much better in that respect, but it's also a lot
easier for POV pushers and obsessives like YTMNDers to hijack
articles.  I wish I had an answer.
Guy (JzG)
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk